Recipe No 295 in my Latvian cookbook project is carrot pudding. First of all, it should be clarified that “pudding” in this book does not mean dessert. This category includes everything that is called a soufflé nowadays. Secondly, I have never made soufflés before, so I had very little to offer to correct the cooking method. I kept my fingers crossed that it would work.
- 1 kg/2 kg carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 double cream
- Butter or oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Take a 23×14 cm (9 “x5”) baking dish and grease it with butter or oil.
- Peel the carrots and place them in a medium saucepan of salted boiling water. Cook for 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Remove the carrots from the water and place them in a food processor until the carrots form a puree.
- Add the beaten eggs, cream, salt and pepper and blend until everything is combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. The pudding will rise above the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve.