I think it’s the Latvian equivalent of fast food: it’s cheap, quick and easy to make, but without the greasy aftertaste. There are several versions of salads, and the one on offer here is a slightly newer invention, as it uses peppers and canned beans.
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 red pepper
- 2 medium sized pickled vegetables
- 1/2 cup finely sliced ham
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Chop the onions and put them in a 500 ml jar or bowl, add a tablespoon of table vinegar and fill the jar full with cool/ lukewarm water (best if you prepare the onions the night before with the beans)
- Soak the red beans and then boil. The cooking time depends on how long the beans have soaked, but if they have soaked overnight, they will take approximately one hour.
- When the onions and beans are ready, finely chop the cucumber and ham.a
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, along with the cream, mayonnaise and tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and serve.